Local Sustainable Transport Fund
In April 2011, the County Council submitted a bid to the Department for Transport ‘Local Sustainable Transport Fund’ (LSTF). The bid proposed a package of measures designed to significantly increase the number of rail passengers on the Stratford to Birmingham railway, that would be delivered under the banner of the ‘Stratford-upon-Avon Local Sustainable Transport Project’.
The bid sought a £4.995m funding contribution towards the delivery of the following measures:
- Construction of Stratford Parkway Station;
- A package of weekday off-peak, evening and Saturday train service enhancements between Stratford-upon-Avon and Birmingham (calling at both the existing Town and new Parkway Stations);
- Extended Park & Ride opening hours, additonal bus services and enhanced security provision;
- A package of ‘Smarter Choices’ measures (methods to encourage sustainable travel to and from the Parkway Station); and
- Station Travel Plan infrastructure investment (for example new dropped kerbs, directional signs and bus stops)
On 5 July 2011, the Department for Transports announced that the County Council’s bid had been successful. Further details on the LSTF announcement can be found on the Department for Transport website via the accompanying Local Sustainable Transport Fund press release. A full list of projects approved for funding is also available on the Department for Transport website.
The County Council is now working to secure the remaining funding which would see the new multi-million pound station built next to the existing Park and Ride at Bishopton. The new Parkway Station is intended to open in December 2013, with the package of train service enhancements, improvements to the Park & Ride services and Smarter Choices / Station Travel Plan infrastructure measures being introduced incrementally from 1 April 2012.
A copy of the Stratford-upon-Avon Local Sustainable Transport Project bid document (pdf, 1.76mb) is available to provide further information on the proposals. Please note that commercially sensitive information has been redacted from the document.
For up to date information refer to The Scheme.